Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thoughts from a Five Year Old


So little Ella and I are having lunch together today, left over beans, chicken and rice and she says to me "dad, I want to be buried by you." I didn't know what she meant so I asked her "buried?" "yea, when I die, I want to be buried by you". Talk about bringing my age and this temporal existence into focus unexpectedly. Her innocent and out of the blue statement brought me to tears. After a productive morning in the studio I didn't expect a dose of reality from my five year old. It was so cute and innocent that whatever I said would probably be inadequate. I asked, what if we were buried next to Jake (the dog) beneath the fig tree? She thought that would be nice. Then I said, "the roots of the tree can bind us together".
She then fed me the chicken from her plate because she only liked the beans and rice.

1 comment:

Dan Anderson said...

out of the mouths of babes!