Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mold Made Hare

Here is the mold made hare sculpture. It took me about 10-15 hours to finish instead of 50-60. The mold that I produced from the broken piece wasn't perfect, there were undercuts which distorted the finished product. When I pulled the body sections from the mold, they required only minor repairs due to the imperfections in the mold. It's like putting together a puzzle. Also, I didn't make a mold of the ears, so they have to be created from a slab of clay.
I'm now drying this sculpture on a kiln shelf and when it's dry, I'll place the sculpture and the shelf in the kiln together.
I have two other hares almost completed. I'll make molds of these two sculptures also. Eventually, I'll have several molds and I'm hoping the parts will be interchangable.
Since the pieces are finished in less time, I'll be able to take some risks with the glazing and explore some new surfaces. I see some aesthetic doors opening.